Calabro Cheese Corporation was founded in September 1953 by Joseph Calabro in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Mr. Calabro was born in Sicily, Italy in 1922, matriculated for three years at the University of Messina to attain his Ph.D. in Physics and Mathematics, served in the Italian army as an officer candidate, and emigrated with his sister and mother to the United States in October 1948.
History of Calabro Cheese
Five years later, Joseph, together with his father, Salvatore, began serving and delivering to the "mom and pop" stores, as well s the families of Fairfield and New Haven counties with fresh Ricotta, Mozzarella, and Sausage. In May 1958, Mr. Calabro joined with 50% ownership the Gambardella Cheese Corp. of New Haven, forming the Gambardella / Calabro Cheese Corp. As a result of growing sales and a larger area to boost their expanding line of products, the Gambardella / Calabro Cheese Corp. leased in November 1959, and in July 1961 acquired the Wells River Creamery Corp. of Wells River Vermont as a manufacturing plant, leaving the distribution in New Haven, CT. In January 1981, with sales at an all time high, Calabro Cheese built a new 24,000 square foot production and distributing center in East Haven, CT, and subsequently closing the Vermont and the New Haven facilities. In 1996, a 30,000 sq. ft. expansion project was completed, enabling Calabro Cheese to better serve it's extended list of customers in the New England, New York / New Jersey metropolitan areas as well as the southern, midwest and western regions of the United States.
Calabro Cheese Corp. is staffed by Joseph Calabro, as President and CEO; Salvatore Calabro, a graduate of Georgetown University as Vice President of Sales; Rose Angeloni, a graduate of Fox Valley Business Institute of Wisconsin, as Vice President of Administration; and Frank Angeloni, a graduate of University of Bridgeport, as Vice President of Production.